Christmas Luncheon 2021
…to be held at Drysdale Restaurant, Friday 26 November 2021, 12 noon. Payment can be included with your Membership Renewal form in the newsletter you will receive next week.
Vale Emeritus Professor Peter Boyce
It is with great sadness that U3A Hobart records the death of our Patron, Peter Boyce on 7th August 2021. Peter was one of our favourite tutors for a number of years, giving us excellent courses on a range of topics including Australian Government and Politics, History, and International Affairs. He became our Patron in 2016.
Peter first came to Hobart from Duke University (USA) in 1962 and he had many happy memories from that time. Peter held academic appointments in four Australian universities, including the chair of political science, first at the University of Queensland and then at the University of Western Australia.
From 1985 to 1996 he served as Vice-Chancellor of Murdoch University, following which he was awarded visiting fellowships at two Oxford colleges. He then became Adjunct Professor in the University of Tasmania’s Politics and International Relations Programme, and President of the Tasmanian Branch of the Australian Institute for International Affairs. His awards included a Fellowship of the AIIA.
In 1995 Peter Boyce was made an Officer in the Order of Australia “for services to education, international relations and the community”. We are very grateful that his services to education included inspiring courses for U3A Hobart.
- Term 3 program began Monday 13 September. Places still available in many classes. Enrolments
- Newsletter No. 143, August 2021
- Our new home in 2021 is the Commerce Annexe on the UTAS Sandy Bay campus. We also use the Lecture Theatre in the Old Commerce Building. See Location for a detailed map and information about parking and bus routes.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advice from DHS, Tasmania
Recommended online courses providers:
- Your Say Hobart is a space where you can share your ideas to make Hobart a better place to live, work and play. Get involved and register to receive updates about upcoming engagements.
- Tasmanian Arts Guide: Places to go
- Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra
- Musica Viva Tasmania
- The Playhouse
- Theatre Royal
- UTAS public lectures & forums
- State Cinema
- Libraries Tasmania
- Kettering Concerts
- Virtuosi Tasmania
- Baha’i Centre Soul Food
- City of Hobart: latest news and upcoming events
- COTA Tasmania: the voice of older Tasmanians